As this is Thanksgiving weekend, I thought I would give thanks for a few things in the racing world.
- I am thankful that I have been in car races on world famous tracks like Laguna Seca, Sonoma, Thunderhill, Willow Springs, etc. What percentage of the world population gets to do this? I don’t normally think of myself as part of the dreaded 1% (because I’m not in a financial sense), but in terms of car racing, I’m pretty sure I am.
- I am thankful that I haven’t been in any crashes. I admit that a good part of that is dumb luck. I’m gaining skill in recognizing when bad stuff happens, but even very skilled drivers get wrecked by things beyond their control.
- I am thankful to the racing organizations that make this hobby possible, especially those aimed at the budget racer (24 Hours of LeMons, Lucky Dog Racing League, World Racing League, ChumpCar, etc.).
- I am thankful for all the people I call teammates. Thanks for joining me or letting me join you in this crazy pastime. I’ll remember these days always.
- I am thankful for all the people I’ve raced against. Sharing the track with you has been an honor and a privilege.
- I am thankful that I haven’t raced next to this guy…